Sunday, April 17, 2011

Getting back in the saddle...

... of blogging, that is. I realized that I will never catch up with all the posts I had planned in my head. I still feel bad that my Erina never got an 11th birthday post =(. Instead of catching up, I'll just start today and hope to be better in the future. Nobody should dwell over the past anyways, right?

The biggest news is that the girls started horseback riding lessons last month =). Grace had been asking for years... I kept talking her out of it for two reasons, one: it's expensive, two: it's dangerous. All the wrong reasons, I know. Then things just fell into place, like it was meant to be. Brian has a co-worker who owns horses, he asked him if he had any recommendations for riding lessons... and so we found Rusty Milliken Training in Vacaville.

We showed up that first Sunday, thinking we would just watch a lesson. But nope, before we knew it, Rusty had both girls brushing a horse.


They even had to clean out the hoofs!! Yes, I about had a heart attack and envisioned crushed toes (I think I need a serious chill pill).


To come to the point. The girls fell in love. I already knew Grace would love it, but was pleasantly surprised by Erina. She's my cautious, careful child. She worries about getting hurt or not being perfect. She can spend hours reading or drawing. Doing safe things, not taking unnecessary risks. AND THEN SHE RODE A HORSE. Just like that.

Here's some pics from last weeks lesson (I didn't bring the camera today and I'm kicking myself for it... they actually had to fetch their horse Sassy from the pasture, then got to ride bareback to the barn... talk about a perfect photo op):















And my "getting back in the saddle" title wasn't just for me... it was also for Erina. Today, while dismounting, she leaned forward too much and somersaulted right off the horse. OUCH! She got the wind knocked out of her but was fine. And while her legs were still shaky, Rusty lifted her right back in the saddle. One of the first things she said to me afterwards was "Rusty must be very strong, he lifted me up like I weigh nothing!!!"

I'm proud of my big girl =). Of course I'm proud of my little girl as well ;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment