Wednesday, September 8, 2010

School

My girls are on their 4th week of school already and I haven't even posted the classic "back-to-school" pics. Bad me =).

First let me tell you a little something about our school clothes shopping. I'm not one to wander through the mall for hours. I'm one to surf the net and have all the pretties delivered to my door. Yep. I don't really like shopping at our local mall, they only have a Children's Place, Old Navy and Justice to choose from... oh, and Gymboree. So what clothes do we see most at our school... exactly, you're getting my point. I can't explain why or how it came about, but I simply like to see my kids in something original, something nobody else is wearing. Does that make me look superficial? I hope not! I believe that my girls will grow up to be stronger individuals, because they have their own style and don't mind standing out from the crowd.

Ok, back to the real story here. We came home from Switzerland on a Friday night and school started the following Monday. I had not done any shopping in five weeks. No special outfits picked out. No new shoes. No new backpacks.

We had to go to the mall. No way around it. On a Saturday.

We were severely jet-lagged, almost delirious... giggling out of control over the smallest things. At one point Grace turned to me and said "Mom, I feel like my feet are not even touching the ground!!", which really hit the nail on the head. We floated through the mall and right into The Children's Place. And in my delirium, I gave the kids free range...

... which lead to these back-to-school outfits:


And this backpack & messenger bag (which I would never in a blue moon allow my child to buy in a normal state of mind):


And yes, that's a brown paper bag you see in Erina's hand. That's right, I'm sending them to school with paper bag lunch. Why? Because they lost too many lunch boxes. Actually Grace is the one who lost more than I can count... Erina would be fine. But I have to treat them fair, so they both get a bag that they can toss.



Erina started 5th Grade! I can't believe that this will be her last year of elementary school. She has grown a lot over the summer, body and mind. She's not a little girl any more, but grew into a wonderful young lady. She has a mind of her own and will argue you in the ground (she got that from her daddy). She can also be a bit bossy at times due to her believe that she's always right (now that's from me).



Grace is only a year behind Erina... and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. 4th Grade. She's only 8!!! She is still my baby, she won't want to hear that, but it's true. I want to keep her safe at home, away from the harsh world. I really don't have a reason to feel like she needs protection. She's a tough little cookie and will speak up for herself if she absolutely has to. I think I need to grow up.

Did I mention that my girls are in the same class this year? It's pretty wonderful (I'll only have to volunteer in one class, yay).

All in all I'm hoping for a good year. I know time will fly... and next year will be time for middle school... yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment