Thursday, February 11, 2010

Homesick!!!

My Swiss facebook friends are making me homesick today! They are posting about going to carnival or how we say "Fasnacht". This is one event that I miss... I miss it so much, I can't even attend any parades here in the States. I tried several times, last time it was a 4th of July parade. Let me tell you, I wasn't a pretty sight. Parades and especially marching bands make me bawl like a baby!!! I'm usually quiet in control of my emotions, but a high school marching band will come along and I can't stop the tears from coming. WHY? It reminds me of carnival... the cool marching bands called "Guggemuusig", which are way less professional than a high school band.

Fasnacht is such a cool thing, the party starts on Thursday night and doesn't end until the Wednesday after. Sunday is the big parade and by then most people are pretty hung over, still drunk or working on the next buzz. It's pretty darn fun, everybody dresses up and simply goes wild.

Anyways, in my sadness, I went on youtube and found this movie from last years parade. If you make it past the annoying "I like to move it, move it" part, you'll get to see and hear part of the parade in my little hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment