Sunday, October 18, 2009

I Heart Faces * Week 41 * PINK

In honor of breast cancer awareness month the i ♥ faces contest this week is pink.

Photobucket


I knew right away which picture I would enter. Meet my mom, she's a breast cancer survivor. She found a lump in her breast in late 2004, but didn't say a word to anybody. It had been a year of loss for our family with my grandmother and uncle passing. She just couldn't handle the thought of cancer, she thought she might be next on the list to die. By early 2005 she realized this lump was not going away and she had to deal with it.

You have to know that I live far, far away from my parents. I'm in California, they are in Switzerland.

Imagine how I felt when my dad called me with the news that my mom was in the hospital having surgery to have a lump removed. I wanted to drive to the airport and board the next plane. But my dad told me to wait, that there was nothing for me to do, that I could be supportive from far away. Goodness, it was a hard time for all of us. I talked to my mom everyday, her spirits were up, she has fighter blood :-).

It's been 4 1/2 years since then and my mom is a happy, healthy person. She beat the cancer. She still has a check-up every six months and so far so good. Let's hope it will stay that way.

Here's a picture of my mom with my girls, taken this summer. Breast cancer survivor AND wearing a pink tee! Double pink for me!
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. That's amazing! So happy for your family :) Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful shot! Congrats to your mom! She is truly a beautiful women! You can just see how she looks at life in such a beautiful way! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story of survival and strength. Wonderful photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching story! I am glad your mom is a survivor. That's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story, so happy that she is doing well now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go, Pink! So glad your mom is doing well. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pink and that she is the one wearing it! You and your kids are so lucky to have her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that your Mom is a survivor! And I love your little girls with her in the post. They are so lovely! What a wonderful tribute to such special women! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your mom! Great picture!

    ReplyDelete